Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Third Time's The Charm Hedgie



Pattern: Huggable Hedgehog
Designer: Debbie Radtke
Size: Just Right for Hugging during chemo treatments
Yarn: Knit Pick's Wool of the Andes in Fog and Hush, Cello Eyelash in Magic Purple
Needles: 10.5, 24 inch circs
Started February 25, 2007
Finished February 27, 2007


I'm not sure I can stand the fluff factor on this one. It's like something you would find on Cute Overload. The Cello Eyelash held double is almost too much fluff. We are talking serious fluff.

It's been interesting to see the differences in the fun fur. I've used three different types so far. The Bernat was short and more flocked. The Cello is the longest so far. Lion Brand eyelash is in the middle. The next Hedgie. Yes he is already on the needles will use the Knit Pick's Butterfly kisses, probably held double, it has very long but widely spaced single eyelashes.

Yes there is a fourth Hedgie in the works. This one is going to be an Ohio State Hedgie in Fog and Red with Red whispies. I'm really curious to see how the Butterfly Kisses eyelash knits up.



I have another project on the needles. The Cancer Sucks Hat for Tracy, shown here with matching Hedgie before I put on the eyes and nose.
The idea is that the hat and Hedgie will be a matched set for Tracy.

I had a close call applying the left eye on sweet little Hedgie. I use the tip of a pair of scissors to poke a small hole in the felt to stick the eye/nose through. Not the best way to do this. I sliced through the felt a bit too much creating a way too big hole.

Ack!

What to do? I got out a bit of matching yarn and sewed the hole shut, correctly placed the last eye, then sent Hedgie back to the washing machine hoping for a bit more felting to seal up the slice.

Thankfully it worked. Hedgie is bit on the small side, further accentuating the fluff factor.

Back tot he Cancer Sucks Hat. I'm adapting the stripes a bit. They just wanted to have a third stripe. Due to yarn constraints I think the top decreases area will be in Hush and not Fog. I think it will be ok. Then I will do duplicate stitch on for the letting, no fair isle for me.

3 comments:

msubulldog said...

Gosh, I didn't know hedgehogs reproduced quite so quickly. :) You are cranking those little guys out fast! He sure is cute--excess fluff and all.

Jennifer said...

Cutest.Hedgie.Ever.

Karen said...

Oh my goodness they are multiplying like rabbits, or wire coathangers. I'm working on #4 and I think he is going to be it for awhile.