Monday, January 19, 2009

This Land is Your Land This Land is My Land

From wiki
This Land is Your Land
lyrics by Woodie Guthrie.

This land is your land, this land is my land
From California to the New York Island
From the Redwood Forest to the Gulf Stream waters
This land was made for you and me.
As I went walking that ribbon of highway
I saw above me that endless skyway
I saw below me that golden valley
This land was made for you and me.
I roamed and I rambled and I followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
While all around me a voice was sounding
Saying this land was made for you and me.
When the sun came shining, and I was strolling
And the wheat fields waving and the dust clouds rolling
A voice was chanting, As the fog was lifting,
This land was made for you and me.
There was a big high wall there that tried to stop me;
Sign was painted, it said private property;
But on the back side it didn't say nothing;
That side was made for you and me.
This land is your land, this land is my land
From California to the New York Island
From the Redwood Forest to the Gulf Stream waters
This land was made for you and me.
I only caught bits of the concert at the Lincoln Memorial online yesterday. For me the highlight was watching Bruce Springsteen, Pete Seeger, and Seeger's grandson, Tao Rodríguez-Seeger, perform This Land is My Land. Oh to be half as alive and vital as Seeger at 89, leading 500K + people in song at the steps of the Lincoln Memorial welcoming our 44th President. Seeger was rocking a knit hat. The knitters over at Knitters for Obama tracked down the hat over at Soulmate Socks. As a former Cleveland Singing Angel I love Folk/Protest/American type songs, and the Sing A Long aspect was especially nice.

Of course Dave was a bit more interested in Shakira, Stevie Wonder and Usher rocking out to Higher Ground, one of his fave songs. I hope HBO puts the entire show out on itunes or amazon or as a dvd.

The pictures and video of the trip to DC by train leave me misty eyed. I suppose it might have something to do with growing up near a fairly busy train embankment in the middle of nowhere in Wayne County. The vintage train car with it's little spot in the back to stand and wave hearkens back to the past. The train pictures just make me feel happy.

Knitting!

In knitting news I finished the Dean Street Hat. It is amazing and squishy and I love the Malabrigo. I'm contemplating a pair of Jeanne of Life In Cleveland's fingerless mitts with my 1.75 oz of remaining yarn. Yep I bought a digital scale over the weekend to weigh yarn.

Yes I knitted a block in Rambling Rows before starting another project. After a few false starts I got a Yarn Harlot basic sock recipie sock started on the addi turbos in the HP Opal sock yarn in Hedwig. I'm not ready to so toe up two at a time, so I'm going to do one more pair top down magic loop. I'm loving the Opal. It' s so cool.

I feltted the FSM test knits yesterday and bought more cream colored wool today. Now to order the Oobie eyes for the FSM's. They will be cute. Dave is excited.

So that's what's up with me, HP Opal socks on addie turbos, progress on Rambling Rows, a FO Malabrigo Hat, a very Happy Pete Seeger, and one very excited knitter waiting not so patiently for our 44th President to be sworn in tomorrow.

No comments: